What's in N.S.W Shipping Records and how do I find an Index?
NSW State Records holds the following records of immigrants:
- Assisted immigrants arriving at Moreton Bay-Brisbane, 1848-59
- Assisted immigrants arriving at Port Phillip, 1839-51
- Assisted immigrants arriving in Sydney & Newcastle, 1844-59
- Assisted immigrants arriving in Sydney, 1860-79
- Assisted immigrants arriving in Sydney, 1880-96
- Miscellaneous Immigrants
- Persons on Government ships Aug 1837-Feb 1840
- Unassisted Arrivals NSW 1842-1855
These records may contain a wealth of information for researchers (where they have been completed properly). They contain both individuals and families. Most often, they provide full names, where the person was from, his/her parents, whether they are living or deceased and where they reside, religion, whether the person could read or write or both, what their health condition was like when they arrived and other general remarks.
To search them, follow these steps:1. Go to the NSW State Records On-Line Index Page
2. Click on "KeyName search"
3. Click in the "KeyName search" box and a cursor will appear
4. Type in the name of the person for whom you are looking and press the "Submit" button
5. You will get a list of the records in which the name appears
6. Click on the records you want to search - there may be lots of records for people with the same name
7. Identify the one that you are looking for
8. Return to this page and enter the particulars on our order form
See our Payment Terms and Methods